Thursday, July 26, 2012

Beginning

"This is a devastating diagnosis."  That's what the oncologist said two weeks ago.  I was in his office for what I thought was a throw away appointment to get the results of a CT scan.  Instead, he sat me down and told me there are several spots on the scan that concerned him (brain, spine and lungs).  He continued to tell me that I was most likely looking at stage IV metastatic melanoma. 

After the follow up tests confirmed the diagnosis, everything has changed.  All of our energy is now focused on fighting and beating this "freaking disease" (that's what the oncologist called it).  The statistics are really crappy, but as my high school basketball coach always said, "Stats are for losers." and I am not a loser.

We have taken control of everything that we can take control of.  My wife, Jennifer, is spear-heading my new diet which is now all organic, non-dairy, non-sugar, mostly non-fat and without red meat.  (It's bacon I miss most).  We have also done tons of research on treatment options and, with lots of help, tons of research on doctors and treatment facilities.  Also my parents have rented a home nearby to be close so that they can help however we need them to.

Now what?  Additional testing did reveal some relatively good news.  An MRI showed that there was nothing in my brain (insert your own joke here).  However, the tumor on my spine is actually pressing against my spinal cord and that is the most immediate danger.  I've already started radiation treatments to halt its growth and relieve the pain that I'm having.  That will continue for the next four weeks.  After that, we will move into the immunotherapy portion of the fight.  More on this later.

In the meantime, I am so thankful for the amount of support and love that has been thrown my way since this has started.  I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people in so many places thinking of and praying for me.  If love could kill this cancer, I would already be cured.


16 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can beat this you can, Slash. I love the positive attitude: Cuck Fancer! You still owe me a beer next time I'm in town so don't think I'm letting you off the hook. -- Jimmo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rick,
    Stats ARE for losers! So beat this thing good!
    Thank you for sharing your blog.
    Please know we are sending many prayers and much love to you and your entire family.
    Love,
    Chris and Shark Felix

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick,
    You are a fighter and I know that you can beat this! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    -Amy Hinton

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your health crisis. I'm thinking good, healing thoughts for you. You will beat this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keeping positive thoughts for all of you!

    - Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blog reflects exactly the attitude with which I know you and Jenn and the girls will fight and beat this. We are thinking of you guys and if you need even the smallest thing we are here. Sending love and positive healing vibes your way. XO The MacDougalls

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great attitude Rick that is most of the battle. Our prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick, have been thinking of you lots and often. Your attitude sounds just like Rick and I know you can wack this thing. Our hearts are with you. Chris and the Hilfertys.

    P.S. That diet sounds like crap.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking of you, Jen and the girls Rick. If there is anything we can do just say the word. Clearly you are all so loved by many and your humor and strength shine through in your writing. We will be following closely and staying in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rick, love your attitude! Will be sending some of the luck of the Irish your way to help in the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little Rickie,
    Just read your blog...I think of you the Bodens often...now more so. My thoughts and prayer are with you lad! Be strong. Lots of good thoughts coming your way!
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rick,
    Joy told me about your blog. Just wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and sending lots of prayers. I couldn't agree more with that certain basketball coach, stats are for losers and you are a winner!
    xo
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rick,
    I just wanted to say you have the best attitude - you always did - and that's such a huge part of winning the battle. You and your wonderful family are always in my thoughts and prayers. If all of us have anything to do with this, you can consider yourself cured!! (sorry about the no bacon - that s#@&s!)
    Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hiv disease for the last 3 years and had pain hard to eat and cough are nightmares,especially the first year At this stage, the immune system is severely weakened, and the risk of contracting opportunistic infections is much greater. However, not everyone with HIV will go on to develop AIDS. The earlier you receive treatment, the better your outcome will be.I started taking ARV to avoid early death but I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.As a Hiv patent we are advise to be taking antiretroviral treatments to reduce our chance of transmitting the virus to others , few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information on Hiv treatment with herbal medicine, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from Hiv her name was Achima Abelard and other Herpes Virus patent Tasha Moore also giving testimony about this same man,Called Dr Itua Herbal Center.I was moved by the testimony and i contacted him by his Email.drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com OR info@drituaherbalcenter.com. We chatted and he send me a bottle of herbal medicine I drank it as he instructed me to.After drinking it he ask me to go for a test that how i ended my suffering life of Hiv patent,I'm cured and free of Arv Pills.I'm forever grateful to him Drituaherbalcenter.Here his contact Number +2348149277967...He assure me he can cure the following disease..Hiv,Cancer,Herpes Virus,Hpv,Pile,Weak Erection,Lyme Disease,Epilepsy,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia. ,Bladder Cancer,Colorectal Cancer,Breast Cancer,Kidney Cancer,Leukemia,Lung Cancer,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Lupus,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer, fibromyalgia ,ALS,Hepatitis,Copd,Parkinson disease.Genetic disease,Fibrodysplasia disease,Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome,Stroke,Hpv,Weak Erection,Liver/Kidney Inflammatory,Men/Woman infertility, bowel disease ,Huntington's disease ,Diabetes,Fibroid...

    ReplyDelete